Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Lavender Lemonade

This is my most favorite thing in the whole wide world! Well, my favorite thing to drink that is.

A few years ago, I tried some lavender lemonade at a ladies luncheon at church that was so good I was thinking about it for weeks. I was determined to make the most delicious lemonade ever. And because I have both lemons and lavender growing in my backyard, I think it was fate.



Here is how I make mine...

1 cup superfine sugar
1/4 cup fresh lavender leaves, well rinsed
1 cup fresh lemon juice
4-1/2 cups water, divided
ice (optional)
lemon slices, for garnish (optional)


To make the simple syrup:

  • Combine 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a medium saucepan. 
  • Bring mixture to boil for 1 minute or until sugar dissolves.
  • Remove from heat.
  • Pour into a 2-quart glass pitcher.
  • Place in refrigerator to cool.


To make lavender water:

  • Bring 1 cup of water to boil in small/medium saucepan.
  • Add 1/4 cup fresh lavender leavers to boiling water.
  • Cover with lid and steep for 1 hour.
  • Strain water and discard leaves.


To make lavender lemonade:

  • Add lavender water to simple syrup in glass pitcher.
  • Stir in lemon juice and remaining water.
  • Place in refrigerator to cool (or add ice and serve).
  • Garnish with lemon slices (optional).

Enjoy!

Note: It's important to use only fresh lavender leaves. Using the flowers may give you too strong of a "perfumy" taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment