Have you ever searched for a rice pudding recipe? Maybe you have. And maybe that's why you're here! I've been searching for one that didn't include egg but didn't have weird things like cranberries or almond in it. There are so many basic recipes but not so many without eggs. After a little research this is what I've come up with. It's not as "runny" as my husband would like but mixed with a little extra milk upon serving it'll do the trick. Personally, I like the pudding-like texture. It's thick and delicious. Enjoy!
4 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups cooked rice
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Combine milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil, stirring frequently so that milk does not burn.
- Add cooked rice, butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg to milk mixture.
- Simmer for 30 minutes (or until milk is absorbed), stirring often.
- Transfer to 5 small bowls and refrigerate until cooled (cover with plastic if you don't want a pudding skin).
- Sprinkle tops with cinnamon, if desired, before serving.
Yields: Approximately 5 servings.